Frequently Asked Questions


Welcome to the FAQ section for the University of Toronto�s PGME Elective registration system. The questions and answers outlined below represent the recurrent concerns incoming PGME electives have while undergoing the registration process. If your concern is not addressed below, please contact either or (416-978-8388) at the PGME Office.

Frequently Asked Questions

1) Q: How can I find a supervisor for my elective at the University of Toronto?

A: In order to locate a supervisor for your elective training, you must contact the program administrator in the department within which you will be training. Please consult the Programs and Program Directors contact list for details.

2) Q: How do I ensure that I've met all registration requirements of the Postgraduate Medical Education Office at the University of Toronto?

A: In order to insure that you've fully met the PGME Office's registration requirements, please consult the Admissions section of the PGME website for electives, selecting the appropriate citizenship status. If you are unsure of any registration requirements it is recommended that you contact both the PGME Office and the administrative office at your home school responsible for your elective to ensure all requirements are met.

3) Q: Do I require an educational license from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO) prior to starting my training?

A: Yes. If you do not already have a valid educational license issued by the CPSO, you must obtain one prior to starting your elective training. Please note that it may take up to six weeks to acquire an educational license from the CPSO. Therefore, you must apply for your license at least six weeks in advance of your start date in order to commence training on time. (Learners from NOSM, Ottawa, Western, McMaster, Queens already have a CPSO license)

4) Q: I have medial liability protection under the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) but not for Ontario, what should I do?

A: You must contact the CMPA and have the location of your coverage included in Ontario for the duration of your elective training. Proof-of-registration with the CMPA is a mandatory registration requirement for the PGME Office and necessary prior to starting elective training.

  • For Learners training in Quebec who are covered under the Quebec Healthcare and Social Services Network Program, please contact their office to have the proof-of-coverage form revised to show the certificate holder as the elective training site (i.e. University of Toronto plus Hospital Site) and the dates of elective training indicated in the nature of request section of the form. Once this is in place, your record will be updated to Quebec in the CMPA section of your registration record.

5) Q: Which immunization documents are required of me in order to register with the Postgraduate Medical Education Office at the University of Toronto?
A: A full immunization record is required, including an updated TB test (within the last year). You must either have your family physician complete the UofT PGME Immunization Form, or submit your original immunization record from your entry to residency at your home school + updated TB test. A full immunization record includes:

  • Tuberculosis: Previous 2-step Mantoux skin test and Annual 1-step Mantoux skin test (if positive TB, provide record and chest x-ray only)
  • Hepatitis B: Lab evidence of immunity (anti-HBs, and HBsAg if non-immune or no prior immunization)
  • Measles, Mumps and Rubella: 2 vaccination dates OR positive titre results
  • Chicken Pox VZV: positive titre result OR 2 vaccine dates
  • Diphtheria, Acellular Pertussis, Tetanus and Polio immunizations/boosters
  • Mask Fit

If you have any further questions or concerns with respect to your immunization requirements, please contact

If your concern is not addressed above, please contact Kelly Killip (416-978-8388) of the PGME Office.